We plan to make this in our community orchard very soon. Will probably make it vegan by using vegan margarine as we have a couple vegan volunteers & it tastes just as good. Recipe provided by http://braai.com/recipes/appletart/ thank you.
What you need (serves 6 – 8)
For the filling:
- 8–10 apples
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tots brandy / rum – optional
For the crumble:
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 125 g salted butter (or margarine)
- another 2 tots butter
- another dash of cinnamon
Vanilla ice-cream or cream to serve
What do do:
- Peel and core the apples, cut them into chunks and throw them in a potjie. Add the water, raisins, cinnamon and brandy, and mix well.
- Put the potjie on the fire, with the lid on. Cook the mixture for about 10 minutes until the apples begin to soften. Remove from the fire once cooked.
- While the apples and their friends cook, add the flour, sugar and butter to a bowl and rub together with your clean fingertips until it forms a dry, crumbly mixture.
- Add half of the crumble mixture to the potjie and mix it into the cooked apples.
- Use the rest of the crumble mixture to cover the apples – make sure it spreads out evenly.
- Add a couple of knobs of butter on top of the crumble and sprinkle a bit of cinnamon over the top to give the tart some colour. Put the lid on the potjie and go back to the fire.
- Put the potjie over gentle coals and also put coals on the lid. When and if the coals lose power, add extra coals to the bottom and top of the potjie. If the fire is big and one side of the potjie gets more heat than the other, rotate the potjie every now and again.
- Bake for about 45 minutes to an hour, until you see the apple sauce bubbling through the crust when you lift the lid.
- Enjoy with some vanilla ice-cream or cream.